Japanese hardware numbers have been released chronicling how things have been selling both overall, as well as in the last six months.
The story is a fairly predictable one. The Nintendo DS has dominated the handheld market, with PSP coming in second. In the realm of the console, Nintendo Wii has been the strongest seller this generation, with PlayStation 3 coming in second. You can see the total number of each current generation console and handheld sold in Japan below.
- Nintendo DS – 32,855,741 sold since December 02, 2004
- PlayStation Portable – 18,737,441 sold since December 12, 2004
- Nintendo Wii – 12,433,321 sold since December 02, 2006
- PlayStation 3 – 8,112,613 sold since November 11, 2006
- Nintendo 3DS – 6,355,287 sold since February 26, 2011
- Microsoft Xbox 360 – 1,554,547 sold since December 10, 2005
- PlayStation Vita – 756,451 sold since December 17, 2011
In the last six months, Nintendo 3DS has by far been the best-selling handheld, with PlayStation 3 selling the most consoles